Saturday 22 October 2011

How to revive a synthethic wig

Since it's so close to halloween I was thinking of costume ideas and looking at what I already had from previous halloweens. I found a white wig in my press which would be perfect for what I had in mind, the only problem though was that it was a complete frizzy mess!! I wondered how could I fix this and after a little research on the net here is what I came up with.

Here is what the wig looks like to begin with, a frizzy mess!!

Here is what your gonna need to sort this mess out:


  • A clip (to hold the straightened sections away from the section your working on)
  • Spray water (I used this La Roche Posay sample one but you could use a spray bottle)
  • A leave in conditioning spray (this will help restore a bit of shine and give the wig a nice smell)
  • A round bristle brush (for to brush the wig, I find these ones work best)
  • A hair straightener/curling iron (not pictured above) (you need something with an adjustable heat setting so you can apply just enough heat without melting the fibers, in this tutorial I use my curling iron to straighten as my ghd doesn't have an adjustable heat setting.
First off taking a section of the wig, start by misting the spray water on to the section you are working on, next mist a little of the conditioner on. We don't want the fibers to be too wet but just enough so we can mould it with the heat. Then take your curling iron or hair straightener and set it to the lowest possible setting in my case this was 150 degrees Celsius. Then straighten the section, you may want to test this on part of the wig where you can't see first just to make sure and not to cause any damage that can be seen!


Next take your round brush and brush the section you have just straightened.


And here is the result from that one section! Alot better than what we started with.


Continue this method around the whole wig and you will end up with an all together much looking wig that you can now reuse for this years Halloween


I hope this helps and please remember to use caution with heated hair tools and also to try the lowest possible setting first and adjust accordingly.  I was really nervous when I tried this as it is not usually recommended to use heated products with a synthetic wig so use at your own discretion,
Much love
     RubySkullrose xx

No comments:

Post a Comment